"Our Vision: Photobiomodulation (PBM Therapy) in every department of every hospital, every doctor's office (clinic) and every home ...Drug free pain relief and better healing through 'best in class' photomedicine products and services."
James Carroll - THOR Photomedicine CEO
THOR has over 5,000 customers in pioneering clinics and hospitals in more than 70 countries and is the only company with FDA, CE, TGA, Health Canada and NATO clearance, and we are also listed on GSA, and eCAT in the United States for government purchases. Since 1993 THOR has built an unprecedented and unparalleled Research and Development pedigree with many of the world's leading Universities. Around the world these animal and human healthcare professionals have published over 700 Randomised Controlled Trials using LED and 3b Laser devices and over 7,000 publications altogether.
Photobiomodulation (PBM Therapy)
What is PBM?Photobiomodulation (PBM Therapy) previously known as Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) is a laser or LED light therapy that improves tissue repair (skin wounds, muscle, tendon, bone, nerves), reduces inflammation and reduces pain wherever the beam is applied. Usually applied by a doctor, therapist or technician, treatments typically take 1 - 10 minutes and should be applied two or more times a week. Pubmed refs
How it works?PBM works predominately on a protein in mitochondria (cytochrome c oxidase) to increase ATP and reduce oxidative stress. A cascade of mitochondrial and intracellular downstream effects lead to improved tissue repair and reduced inflammation. Pubmed refs
How much is enough, how much is too much?There is a dose response: not enough power density and there is no effect, too much and there can be inhibitory effects which can slow down healing and lose the anti-inflammatory effects. Pubmed refs
The analgesic mechanismThis depends on an PBM overdose; Higher power density PBM >300mW/cm² reduces ATP production in C fibres and A delta fibres resulting in an immediate neural blockade lasting up to approx 24 hr. Pubmed refs
So there are actually TWO kinds of PBM ?Yes, high power density is necessary for analgesia and deep tissue targets, low power density (< 100mW/cm²) is necessary to promote healing and reduce inflammation in superficial wounds, tendons and joints (the target is the synovia not the joint). THOR do both high and low power density for best healing, deep penetration and analgesia. Read more about class IV lasers, 3B lasers, LEDs and dose here
The progress of Photobiomodulation Therapy towards mainstream acceptance
- 2019 - Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) guidelines recommend PBM treatment for the prevention of oral mucositis. Click here
- 2018 - National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidance for the UK NHS recommends laser therapy for oral mucositis. Click here
- 2017 - UK NIHR funded RCT on the Clinical and Cost Effectiveness of Low Level Laser in the Management of Oral Mucositis in Head and Neck Cancer Irradiation, 10 NHS hospitals, 380 patients in progress. Click here
- 2017 - Low Level Laser improves survival of head and neck cancer patients. Click here
- 2017 - American College of Physicians Guidelines include a "strong recommendation" for Low-Level Laser Therapy as a non-invasive Treatments for Acute, Subacute & Chronic Low Back Pain. Click here
- 2016 - BMJ PBM for chronic non-specific low back pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials found "moderate quality of evidence" and "clinically important benefits" in the short term. Click here
- 2014 - 30% reduction of the costs of hospitalisation in PBM Oral Mucositis patients. Click here
- 2014 - MASCC guideline revisions recommend use of PBM to reduce the incidence and severity of Oral Mucositis. Click Here.
- 2013 - Journal Applied Oral Science. TMJ Systematic review "it seems clear that the use of laser brings benefits when properly applied and administered". Click Here.
- 2012 - Multinational Association for Supportive Cancer Care (MASSC) systematic review recommends PBM for oral mucositis. Click here
- 2011 - European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) systematic review suggest PBM for reducing duration and severity of oral mucositis. Click here
- 2011 - British Medical Journal (BMJ) Clinical Guidelines for tennis elbow "Likely to be beneficial for short-term pain relief & improvement of function". Click here
- 2010 - The International Association for the Study of Pain (Global Task Force on musculoskeletal pain) recommend laser for myofascial pain syndrome. Click here
- 2010 - British Journal of Sports Medicine, systematic review of surgical and conservative interventions for frozen shoulder found "strong evidence" for PBM. Click here
- 2010 - American Physical Therapy Association guidelines recommend PBM for Achilles tendonitis. Click here
- 2009 - The Lancet "PBM reduces pain immediately after treatment in acute neck pain and for up to 22 weeks in patients with chronic neck pain". Click here
- 2008 - World Health Organisation (Bone and Joint Task Force) recommended PBM for neck pain. Click Here
Prices from US$14,585 to US$23,670 (£11,195–£17,995 + VAT)
Course Testimonials - Read more
"The 8 hour course with James was excellent. I have an interest in learning more about PBM and how to help my cardiovascular patients. This course explained the basic mechanisms how PBM work via improving energy production from the mitochondria. Case reports and studies were provided. Questions were answered. Great course and highly recommended to all who want to learn more about PBM."
Saint Louis MO, USA
"The training course covered all different aspects of PBM from basics, physics to clinical application and safety which was great! You have covered everything. It was a very well organised course with great presentation, slides and learning materials. Thank you!!!"
Dr. Reza Modarres, MD, FRACGP
"Extremely good presenter, very knowledgeable and personable, very enjoyable. Breaks were nicely spaced out so never too long of trying to concentrate. Left feeling very enthused about the Photobiomodulation topic."
Dr. Bethany Fitzmaurice
"The course was full of information, well organized with good references. It is easily a training that can be given over two days. So much to discuss although it was well condensed, I enjoyed every bit of it. It was an amazing training overall, can't wait to meet James in person. Thank you."
"Simply, the best lecture on PBM in the world I have found. The mechanism of action is clearly described with understandable accuracy. Mr. Carroll is entertaining, informative and precise. I highly recommend his presentation for all clinicians interested in advancing their clinical potential using lasers and LED treatments."
David S Peterson DDS, FAGD
Product information and purchase enquiry
Sorry for the long form.
We are a global company and our computer needs to know who to direct your enquiry to.
* Mandatory field - this automatically directs your enquiry to the correct department
THOR Photobiomodulation Newsletter
See previous edition. Please add me to the monthly THOR training, research and conference Newsletter.