What is Photobiomodulation Therapy (PBMT)?
Photobiomodulation Therapy (PBMT) is the best technical term for Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT).
It is a light therapy using lasers or LEDs to improve tissue repair, reduce pain and inflammation wherever the beam is applied. Usually applied by a doctor, therapist or technician, treatments take about 10 minutes and should be applied two or more times a week.
Photobiomodulation has been used for many years on sports injuries, arthritic joints, neuropathic pain syndromes, back and neck pain. Over 300 randomised clinical trials have been published on Photobiomodulation, half of which are on pain.
THOR customers include British and US military, Premier Division soccer teams, Olympic teams, Formula 1, rugby and cricket team therapists as well as specialist pain clinics in the UK and USA.
In the last 8 years seven systematic reviews have found in favour of LLLT
- BMJ LLLT for chronic non-specific low back pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials found "moderate quality of evidence" and "clinically important benefits" in the short term. (2016) Click here
- BMJ sports medicine journal, systematic review of surgical and conservative interventions for frozen shoulder found "strong evidence" for LLLT. (2010) Click here
- The International Association for the Study of Pain (Global Task force on musculoskeletal pain) found "strong evidence" for Low Level Laser Therapy on myofascial pain syndrome. (2010) Click here
- The BMJ clinical evidence recommendations for tennis elbow 2011 now include LLLT click here
- American Physical Therapy Association guidelines recommend LLLT for Achilles tendonitis. (2010) Click here
- Lancet systematic review: "LLLT reduces pain immediately after treatment in acute neck pain and up to 22 weeks after completion of treatment in patients with chronic neck pain". (2009) Click here
- World Health Organisation (Bone and Joint Task Force) for neck pain Low Level Laser Therapy "more effective than no treatment, sham, or alternative interventions" (2008) Click here
THOR Photobiomodulation Newsletter (See previous edition)
Please add me to the monthly THOR training, research and conference Newsletter.
Product information and purchase enquiry
Sorry for the long form.
We are a global company and our computer needs to know who to direct your enquiry to.
* Mandatory field - this automatically directs your enquiry to the correct department