"Our Vision: LLLT in every department of every hospital, every doctor's office (clinic) and every home ...Drug free pain relief and better healing through 'best in class' photomedicine products and services."
James Carroll - THOR Photomedicine CEO
THOR has over 3,000 customers in pioneering clinics and hospitals in more than 70 countries and is the only company with FDA, CE, TGA, Health Canada and NATO clearance. Since 1993 THOR has built an unprecedented and unparalleled Research and Development pedigree with many of the world's leading Universities. Around the world these animal and human healthcare professionals have published over 400 Randomised Controlled Trials using LED and 3b Laser devices and over 4,000 publications altogether.
Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT)
What is LLLT?LLLT is a laser or LED light therapy that improves tissue repair (skin wounds, muscle, tendon, bone, nerves), reduces inflammation and reduces pain wherever the beam is applied. Usually applied by a doctor, therapist or technician, treatments typically take 1 - 10 minutes and should be applied two or more times a week. Pubmed refs
How it works?LLLT works predominately on a protein in mitochondria (cytochrome c oxidase) to increase ATP and reduce oxidative stress. A cascade of mitochondrial and intracellular downstream effects lead to improved tissue repair and reduced inflammation. Pubmed refs
How much is enough, how much is too much?There is a dose response: not enough power density and there is no effect, too much and there can be inhibitory effects which can slow down healing and lose the anti-inflammatory effects. Pubmed refs
The analgesic mechanismThis depends on an LLLT overdose; Higher power density LLLT >300mW/cm² reduces ATP production in C fibres and A delta fibres resulting in an immediate neural blockade lasting up to approx 24 hr. Pubmed refs
So there are actually TWO kinds of LLLT ?Yes, high power density is necessary for analgesia and deep tissue targets, low power density (< 100mW/cm²) is necessary to promote healing and reduce inflammation in superficial wounds, tendons and joints (the target is the synovia not the joint). THOR do both high and low power density for best healing, deep penetration and analgesia. Read more about class IV lasers, 3B lasers, LEDs and dose here
In the last 9 years eight systematic reviews have found in favour of LLLT
- American College of Physicians Guidelines include a "strong recommendation" for Low-Level Laser Therapy as a non-invasive Treatments for Acute, Subacute & Chronic Low Back Pain. (2017) Click here
- BMJ LLLT for chronic non-specific low back pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials found "moderate quality of evidence" and "clinically important benefits" in the short term. (2016) Click here
- BMJ sports medicine journal, systematic review of surgical and conservative interventions for frozen shoulder found "strong evidence" for LLLT. (2010) Click here
- The International Association for the Study of Pain (Global Task force on musculoskeletal pain) found "strong evidence" for Low Level Laser Therapy on myofascial pain syndrome. (2010) Click here
- The BMJ clinical evidence recommendations for tennis elbow 2011 now include LLLT click here
- American Physical Therapy Association guidelines recommend LLLT for Achilles tendonitis. (2010) Click here
- Lancet systematic review: "LLLT reduces pain immediately after treatment in acute neck pain and up to 22 weeks after completion of treatment in patients with chronic neck pain". (2009) Click here
- World Health Organisation (Bone and Joint Task Force) for neck pain Low Level Laser Therapy "more effective than no treatment, sham, or alternative interventions" (2008) Click here
Prices from US$7,800 to US$28,000 (£5,100 - £18,150 + VAT)
Product information and purchase enquiry
Sorry for the long form.
We are a global company and our computer needs to know who to direct your enquiry to.
* Mandatory field - this automatically directs your enquiry to the correct department
Receive the LLLT Monthly Research News
See previous edition. Please add me to the monthly THOR training, research and conference Newsletter.
Course Testimonials - Read more
"Really enjoyed the training day – extremely informative and James Carroll is an excellent and extremely knowledgeable presenter – I will definitely come on this again and bring all the staff as well !!"
John Rose B.Sc (Hons) Optometry & Visual Sciences
John Rose Eyecare
"Thor training was tremendous. I was literally saving lives while in training, by texting my staff as how to use the LX2 that arrived the day of my departure (thanks to Mark Granic–one of the best reps I have ever dealt with.)"
Paul Perrier, DVM
Terry Animal Hospital
Rockville, New York, USA
"As Jane O'Connor, Osteopath in Leamington Spa, said: If there's someone who knows everything about laser therapy it's James! I found the course useful to understand the principles of laser therapy. It also gave me a wide perspective of actual and future applications of laser. Of course there will still be a lot to learn as I start using this technology in my patients. James is a lively speaker."
Dr Minnie Freudenthal
"Course was fantastic, materials were very well put together for a wide variety of clinicians at different levels of care. As a physician I look forward to seeing how this technology can enhance rehabilitation practice to conditions that have few or no currently viable treatments."
Luke Kane, D.O.
NYU Dept. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
New York, USA
"The seminar last Sunday in Austin was excellent. I learned tons and am so excited to use my laser to it's fullest capacity. I will be ordering the 810nm probe soon. I would very much like to attend another seminar so I can get more out of the volume of information presented. Thank you again!"
Marty Henderson, DVM
New Braunfels, TX, USA